Program Manager- Construction & Property Development
Extra Space is seeking a Construction Development Program Manager to oversee a portfolio/program of approximately 25-30 concurrent development/construction projects in support of Extra Space growth strategies. In this fast-paced role, you will report directly to the Senior Director, Construction & Property Development and will collaborate with internal real estate professionals, operations partners, and a team of outsourced project managers / development consultants to optimize project management delivery and execution of target projects within time and budget parameters. You will also be responsible for overseeing all phases of development from initial feasibility through completion of construction. This position will be based out of our divisional offices in Voorhees, NJ.
What you'll be doing:
It is generally expected that the associate will not directly manage development / construction projects, though this could happen is some cases. Rather, the associate will generally oversee a portfolio/program of projects where outsourced project managers / development consultants manage the projects directly.
- Oversee a portfolio/program of projects, including partnering with outsourced project managers and development consultants to develop project strategies and monitor scope, schedule, cost, budget control, quality, communication, risk management, procurement, stakeholder engagement, financial approvals, and reporting
- Develop, continuously improve, and ensure compliance with project policies, procedures, standards, best practices, templates, forms, tools, frameworks, methodologies, delivery platforms
- Assure performance of outsourced project managers and development consultants meets Extra Space standards for delivery and performance metrics, including quality control and conformance with project plans and standards
- Consult with internal real estate professionals/business partners during project initiation and oversee development of project execution plan, scope, budget, and schedule
- Serve as liaison between internal real estate professionals/business partners and outsourced project professionals
- Oversee, direct and train outsourced project management/development consultant resources in Extra Space procedures and policies and execution of projects
- Oversee detailed drawing reviews by outsourced project managers and internal design team
- Oversee development of bidders lists and project bidding by outsourced project managers
- Oversee reporting for portfolio of projects and ensure outsourced project managers/consultants are executing, managing project data, and reporting effectively
- Advise on, review, and sign off on consultant and construction contracts for project teams that are managed by outsourced project managers acting as agents for Extra Space
- Serve as primary point of escalation to/from outsourced project managers/consultants and provide technical advice / resolve problems
- Identify and/or escalate project risks and provide oversight for risk mitigation planning
- Develop presentation materials for key decisions act as spokesperson to higher levels of management
- Ensure outsourced project managers transfer deliverables between project phases smoothly - e.g. Initial feasibility approval, Entitlement, Real Estate Committee approval, Construction, Transition to operations team, Project Closeout
- Identify value engineering opportunities which can be broadly implemented across projects
What you'll need to be successful:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture, or Business Management
- 8-10 years of related professional experience and/or training, which includes corporate real estate, engineering, real estate development (including entitlements and ground up development), construction management, or architecture
- Understanding of project management fundamentals, principles and tools
- Proficient with reading and interpreting construction drawings and specifications, and ability to analyze and make correct design and construction decisions
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret and understand zoning codes, building codes, technical procedures, and governmental regulations
- Ability to communicate with and respond to corporate personnel (Operations, Facilities, Asset Management), outside managers/consultants, and government agencies.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Project, OneNote, PowerPoint, web based productivity tools
- Travel required - approx. 30%
- MBA or Master’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Real Estate Development, or Architecture
- Experience in self-storage industry entitling, developing, designing, or constructing new projects (similar experience in retail/restaurant industry will be considered)
- Experience managing a high volume of concurrent projects
- Professional experience which includes a combination of the following: 1) Process engineering or change management 2) Relationship management 3) Procurement / contract management 4) Overseeing a team of outsourced project managers
- Project Management Professional Certification or Business Process Management Certification
- Experience in multiple markets is desired including: Northeast/New England, Mid-Atlantic, Florida, Midwest, or California.
About Construction & Property Development
The project management team inside Construction & Property Development is an integral part of expanding and improving the Extra Space Storage real estate portfolio consisting of approximately 1,500 properties throughout the United States. The team supports portfolio growth primarily through strategic expansion, ground up, and major renovation projects, and consists of approximately 25 internal and outsourced project management professionals, who collectively manage up to 150 concurrent projects. Project size ranges from $1M to $15M.
If you are a current Extra Space employee, please apply through the "Find Internal Career Openings" in Workday
Extra Space Storage is the second largest operator of self-storage facilities in the U.S. Since we were founded in 1977, we’ve taken the storage industry by storm. In 2015 alone we added 1.6 Billion dollars in new acquisitions to our already large property portfolio.
The cornerstone of Extra Space Storage is successful partnerships with our stakeholders, partners, investors and customers. Our goals are driven by an impassioned, dedicated workforce that thrives in the innovation driven corporate environment. We are the best, at getting better!
Our Team Makes Us EXTRAordinary
Knowledge is power and experience is valuable. This is why we strive to attract the best candidates for every position at Extra Space Storage. Every position is valuable to our success from our executive management team, corporate employees, on-site managers and call center team.
Offering a Career Path Paved with Innovation and Satisfaction
Attracting the best candidates in any field requires a commitment to job satisfaction. At Extra Space Storage, job satisfaction is high, this is why we have one of the best retention rates in the business. We know that our success depends on our team loving their jobs!
An Extra Space employee is number one valued and knows they are invaluable to the team, customer and company. Second they are passionate enjoying a challenging and rewarding career path armed with the tools they need to succeed. Add a fun work culture and spectacular offices makes Extra Space a pretty amazing place to work.