Senior Tax Accountant
At Extra Space Storage, if it matters to you, it matters to us!
It is a really exciting time to be at Extra Space Storage! We got our start in 1977. Today we are a New York Stock Exchange-traded company leading the self-storage industry in more ways than one. But in order to maintain this lead, we need exceptionally motivated, capable, and driven people like you. We offer a fast-paced collaborative environment where each of us directly contributes to the company’s success. Come join us and find out why so many of our employees recommend us as a great place to work.
We are currently hiring for an entry level Senior Tax Accountant at our corporate offices located in Salt Lake City, Utah. This position will start on January 2, 2018. In this role, you will help in the preparation and filing of Federal and State tax returns on behalf of the Company and its Joint Venture partnerships. You will also be responsible for assisting with Sales and Use tax filings, as well as, work closely with other members of the Financial Tax team and outside tax professionals and advisors ensuring accuracy, compliance and fulfillment of the Company’s tax obligations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the preparation of U.S. Federal & State income tax filings from beginning to end (i.e. tax planning, data collection, work-paper preparation and issue analysis, tax notices, tax estimates and extensions, return preparation, return filing, and audit defense as necessary)
- Aide in the preparation of the FAS 109/ASC 740 Financial Reporting for Income Taxes (Provision) on a quarterly and annual basis, including; calculating the effective tax rate, calculating the tax provision and DTAs/DTLs, evaluating the appropriateness of valuation allowances, and creating the provision journal entries
- Prepare and review tax depreciation books on a monthly and annual basis
- Ability to recognize and analyze tax issues
- Interact with Company personnel to create an awareness of Federal & State income tax issues and the tax implications of current and planned operations
- Be positive and attentive to requests from corporate personnel and leaders for Federal & State tax planning and advice
- Work with outside tax preparers, advisors, and reviewers to ensure accuracy, timeliness, and completeness of tax compliance obligations
- Ability and willingness to work extended hours, as necessary, to meet the Company’s various tax deadlines and challenges
Education and/or Experience:
- A Master’s Degree in Accounting or related field from an accredited college or university required. CPA license preferred. Two or more years of experience, including experience with a public accounting firm. A tactful, pro-active, and professional personality is required
- Excellent analytical, verbal, and written communication skills
- Highly motivated with confidence to independently address issues
- General understanding of U.S. Federal & State income tax issues and compliance obligations involving c-corporations (Form 1120) and partnerships & LLCs (Form 1065)
- Some experience with FIN 48/ASC 740 Uncertain Tax Positions and FAS 109/ASC 740 Provision for Income Taxes is preferred
- Working knowledge of tax preparation software helpful (i.e. GoSystems or OneSource)
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Demonstrate proficient knowledge of computer related skills and accounting systems, including Microsoft Word and Excel
This position will start on January 2, 2018.
We pride ourselves on hiring top talent and provide you the following benefits and more:
- Well defined career paths
- Qualify for Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits on Day 1
- Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending (FSA)
- Company paid Life, AD&D, and Short & Long Term Disability
- 401K with company match after 90 days of service
- Holiday pay and paid time off
- Extensive Wellness Program and various Employee Discount Programs
- Personal Health Advocate
- Free soda, coffee, and drinks all day every day and much, much more!
If you are a current Extra Space employee, please apply through the "Find Internal Career Openings" in Workday
Extra Space Storage is the second largest operator of self-storage facilities in the U.S. Since we were founded in 1977, we’ve taken the storage industry by storm. In 2015 alone we added 1.6 Billion dollars in new acquisitions to our already large property portfolio.
The cornerstone of Extra Space Storage is successful partnerships with our stakeholders, partners, investors and customers. Our goals are driven by an impassioned, dedicated workforce that thrives in the innovation driven corporate environment. We are the best, at getting better!
Our Team Makes Us EXTRAordinary
Knowledge is power and experience is valuable. This is why we strive to attract the best candidates for every position at Extra Space Storage. Every position is valuable to our success from our executive management team, corporate employees, on-site managers and call center team.
Offering a Career Path Paved with Innovation and Satisfaction
Attracting the best candidates in any field requires a commitment to job satisfaction. At Extra Space Storage, job satisfaction is high, this is why we have one of the best retention rates in the business. We know that our success depends on our team loving their jobs!
An Extra Space employee is number one valued and knows they are invaluable to the team, customer and company. Second they are passionate enjoying a challenging and rewarding career path armed with the tools they need to succeed. Add a fun work culture and spectacular offices makes Extra Space a pretty amazing place to work.