Construction Program Manager
We are a leader in our industry and in order to maintain this lead, we need extraordinarily motivated, capable, and driven people like you. Come join us and find out why so many of our employees recommend us as an excellent place to work. Since 2016, we have been a part of the S&P 500 and lead the self-storage industry in more ways than one. In 2018, we were a recipient of one of the Best Places to Work according to Glassdoor.
"Our people are the lifeblood of Extra Space." -Joe Margolis, CEO, Extra
As a Program Manager you will oversee a portfolio projects from feasibility through construction. Most of your projects will be located in the mountain-west, California and Hawaii markets. You will report directly to the Director of Construction & Property Development and collaborate with internal real estate professionals, operations partners, and outsourced development consultants/project managers. You will contribute to multiple phases of development and you should expect to travel to your markets for a few days each month. The Program Manager oversees a portfolio/program of projects where outsourced project managers / development consultants manage the projects directly, while also managing some projects directly and assisting in leadership and administrative initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees a portfolio of Construction/Development projects, including partnering with outsourced project managers and development consultants
- Develops project strategies and monitors scope, schedule, cost, budget control, quality, communication, risk management, procurement, stakeholder engagement, financial approvals, and reporting
- Consults with internal real estate professionals/business partners during project initiation and oversees development of project execution plan, scope, budget, and schedule
- Assures performance of outsourced project managers and development consultants. Insures that their work meets Extra Space standards for delivery and performance metrics, including quality control and conformance with project plans and standards
- Oversees development of bidders lists and project bidding by outsourced project managers
- Serves as the primary point of escalation to/from outsourced project managers/consultants and provides technical advice / resolve problems
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Architecture, or Business Management
- 8-10 years of related professional experience and/or training, which includes corporate real estate, engineering, real estate development (including entitlements and ground up development), construction management, or architecture
- Understanding of project management fundamentals, principles and tools
- Proficient with reading and interpreting construction drawings and specifications, and ability to analyze and make correct design and construction decisions
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Project, OneNote, PowerPoint, web based productivity tools
- Travel required - approx. 35%
If you possess these talents and skills, and a dynamic, growing organization sounds right for you, PLEASE APPLY. We would love to consider you and look forward to reviewing your application.
We pride ourselves on hiring top talent and provide you the following benefits and more:
- Well-defined career paths
- Qualify for Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits on Day 1
- Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending (FSA)
- Company paid Life, AD&D, and Short & Long Term Disability
- 401K with company match after 90 days of service
- Holiday pay and paid time off
- Extensive Wellness Program and various Employee Discount Programs
- Personal Health Advocate
- Onsite Fitness Center
- Free soda, coffee, and drinks all day every single day and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you are a current Extra Space employee, please apply through the "Find Internal Career Openings" in Workday.
Extra Space Storage is the second largest operator of self-storage facilities in the U.S. Since we were founded in 1977, we’ve taken the storage industry by storm. In 2015 alone we added 1.6 Billion dollars in new acquisitions to our already large property portfolio.
The cornerstone of Extra Space Storage is successful partnerships with our stakeholders, partners, investors and customers. Our goals are driven by an impassioned, dedicated workforce that thrives in the innovation driven corporate environment. We are the best, at getting better!
Our Team Makes Us EXTRAordinary
Knowledge is power and experience is valuable. This is why we strive to attract the best candidates for every position at Extra Space Storage. Every position is valuable to our success from our executive management team, corporate employees, on-site managers and call center team.
Offering a Career Path Paved with Innovation and Satisfaction
Attracting the best candidates in any field requires a commitment to job satisfaction. At Extra Space Storage, job satisfaction is high, this is why we have one of the best retention rates in the business. We know that our success depends on our team loving their jobs!
An Extra Space employee is number one valued and knows they are invaluable to the team, customer and company. Second they are passionate enjoying a challenging and rewarding career path armed with the tools they need to succeed. Add a fun work culture and spectacular offices makes Extra Space a pretty amazing place to work.