Director, Internal Audit
We got our start in 1977. Today we are a publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange and a member of the S&P 500. We lead the self-storage industry in more ways than one, but in order to maintain this lead, we need exceptionally motivated, capable, and driven people like you. We offer a fast-paced collaborative environment where each of us directly contributes to the company’s success. Come join us and find out why so many of our employees recommend us as a great place to work.
Extra Space is currently hiring for a Director of Internal Audit at our corporate offices located in Salt Lake City, Utah.
You will be responsible for establishing the risk based annual audit plan for the company and overseeing the independent reviews and evaluation of financial and operational controls throughout the entire organization. This includes all Sarbanes Oxley 404 compliance, property audits, PCI compliance and other internal audits of processes or departments. Collaborate with senior management and business unit management to evaluate the existence and effectiveness of the existing control environment and business processes. The Director also has responsibility to communicate the results of financial and operational audits, work with the organization on resolution of issues, and monitor remediation activities. The Director will communicate the results of the audits and reviews and make recommendations to senior management and to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors for actions to address control weaknesses and to improve operational efficiency.
You will work closely with the company’s external auditors and outside consultants and will be expected to establish and maintain credibility and develop strong relationships within all levels of the organization. The Director is responsible to develop the organization’s understanding for Internal Audit’s role through effective communication with senior leadership. You will report to the Audit Committee Chair with administrative guidance from the Chief Financial Officer ("CFO").
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Organizes and directs the Internal Audit department and the work of all internal audit staff and co-source partners in accordance with relevant standards.
* Develops and executes the risk based annual audit plan, including the budgeting for external resources, and perform duties necessary to achieve objectives and scope.
* Leads Sarbanes Oxley 404 and PCI compliance efforts.
* Identifies and analyzes key business processes in order to improve overall operational efficiency.
* Communicates information to and from the Audit Committee, and executive officers regarding the audit function.
* Evaluates departments periodically to determine if they are performing in compliance with policies, procedures, goals and objectives and regulatory requirements.
* Evaluates the organization’s system of internal control to ensure that it is functioning as planned and updated as necessary to meet changes in operating conditions.
* Reviews existing as well as new products, services and procedures to ensure compliance with regulatory authority. Suggests policy and procedure changes or review as appropriate.
* Works with CLO and Human Resources to administer the whistle blower program, investigate claims and report the findings.
* Reviews the reliability and integrity of financial information and the means used to identify measure, classify and report such information.
* Reviews and records actions and plans taken by management to mitigate conditions reported by audit findings.
* Determines that actions taken are appropriate for the circumstances or initiates further discussions with appropriate management and staff.
* Investigates forgeries, embezzlement, fraud and any type of losses. Procures all evidence, files applicable reports with insurance and applicable regulatory agencies and works with investigating law enforcement agencies.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you are a current Extra Space employee, please apply through the "Find Internal Career Openings" in Workday
Extra Space Storage is the second largest operator of self-storage facilities in the U.S. Since we were founded in 1977, we’ve taken the storage industry by storm. In 2015 alone we added 1.6 Billion dollars in new acquisitions to our already large property portfolio.
The cornerstone of Extra Space Storage is successful partnerships with our stakeholders, partners, investors and customers. Our goals are driven by an impassioned, dedicated workforce that thrives in the innovation driven corporate environment. We are the best, at getting better!
Our Team Makes Us EXTRAordinary
Knowledge is power and experience is valuable. This is why we strive to attract the best candidates for every position at Extra Space Storage. Every position is valuable to our success from our executive management team, corporate employees, on-site managers and call center team.
Offering a Career Path Paved with Innovation and Satisfaction
Attracting the best candidates in any field requires a commitment to job satisfaction. At Extra Space Storage, job satisfaction is high, this is why we have one of the best retention rates in the business. We know that our success depends on our team loving their jobs!
An Extra Space employee is number one valued and knows they are invaluable to the team, customer and company. Second they are passionate enjoying a challenging and rewarding career path armed with the tools they need to succeed. Add a fun work culture and spectacular offices makes Extra Space a pretty amazing place to work.