Sr Director, Human Resources
The Senior Director, People manages all day-to-day aspects of Extra Space Storage’s employee relations, benefits administration, and payroll.
This role serves as part of Extra Space Storage’s Sr HR leadership team, reporting to the VP, People. The Sr Director, People will be an innovative, collaborative leader that will help set our People strategy which embraces our culture and attracts and retains top-level talent.
Leads a team of 15 professionals in the running our employee relations, benefits, and payroll teams. Detailed responsibilities include:
- Oversee company’s employee relations which includes managing a remote team on the East and West coasts.
- Oversight of the company's benefit programs, while ensuring that the company is in compliance with all laws and regulations.
- Leadership of the self-funded renewal process for all benefits and the articulation to employees of changes in benefit programs, including the annual training on new plans.
- Development of a long-term strategy to comply with all laws and regulations, including the Affordable Care Act.
- Development of engaging wellness initiatives to support the overall wellness goals of the company.
- Active participation with the Benefits Committee which provides strategic governance over all benefits programs for the company.
- Collaboration with HR management and Business leaders to understand their issues related to people.
- Development, communication and ownership of Company’s employee handbook
- Participation in the development, communication, and promotion of the Company’s values and culture.
- Bachelor's Degree required. Masters preferred.
- 7+ years of relevant Human Resources experience.
- SPHR certification preferred
- Experience with a publicly traded company
- Experience with and administration of a self-funded benefit program
- Proven ability to gauge effectiveness of the organization's benefits programs and translate data into solutions to continually improve programs and practices.A creative approach to problem solving, with a humble, team oriented and optimistic attitude.
- Ability to think strategically, and objectively. Effectively translates data into actionable insights, strategies and financial plans.
- Leadership skills balanced with a willingness to play a 'hands-on' role with key projects.
- Ability to effectively translate complex information into clear and effective messages.
- Communicates clearly and effectively with associates at all levels.
- Strong verbal and written presentation skills including the ability to communicate complex ideas in a simple way and to tailor key messages and presentation style to multiple audiences.
- Goal oriented and possesses the ability to prioritize on a consistent basis in an ever-changing environment.
If you are a current Extra Space employee, please apply through the "Find Internal Career Openings" in Workday
Extra Space Storage is the second largest operator of self-storage facilities in the U.S. Since we were founded in 1977, we’ve taken the storage industry by storm. In 2015 alone we added 1.6 Billion dollars in new acquisitions to our already large property portfolio.
The cornerstone of Extra Space Storage is successful partnerships with our stakeholders, partners, investors and customers. Our goals are driven by an impassioned, dedicated workforce that thrives in the innovation driven corporate environment. We are the best, at getting better!
Our Team Makes Us EXTRAordinary
Knowledge is power and experience is valuable. This is why we strive to attract the best candidates for every position at Extra Space Storage. Every position is valuable to our success from our executive management team, corporate employees, on-site managers and call center team.
Offering a Career Path Paved with Innovation and Satisfaction
Attracting the best candidates in any field requires a commitment to job satisfaction. At Extra Space Storage, job satisfaction is high, this is why we have one of the best retention rates in the business. We know that our success depends on our team loving their jobs!
An Extra Space employee is number one valued and knows they are invaluable to the team, customer and company. Second they are passionate enjoying a challenging and rewarding career path armed with the tools they need to succeed. Add a fun work culture and spectacular offices makes Extra Space a pretty amazing place to work.