Sr. Director, Learning & Talent Development
It is a really exciting time to be at Extra Space Storage! We got our start in 1977. Today we are a New York Stock Exchange-traded company leading the self-storage industry in more ways than one. But in order to maintain this lead, we need exceptionally motivated, capable, and driven people like you. We offer a fast-paced collaborative environment where each of us directly contributes to the company’s success. Come join us and find out why so many of our employees recommend Extra Space Storage as a great place to work.
The Senior Director of Learning & Talent Development develops and executes a learning strategy for Extra Space Storage. This position oversees the training and development of all Extra Space Storage employees. This is a high impact role requiring a strong, decisive, results-oriented leader who can develop and manage relationships across the organization and influence a wide variety of other partners based on trust, teamwork, and business knowledge.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct the strategy and execution of the training, talent development, and instructional design functions of the organization.
- Manage all talent development related activities including onboarding, talent assessment, talent development, and succession planning.
- Manage and direct the efforts of a team of approximately 20 learning professionals.
- Drive corporate initiatives and values through learning and talent development.
- Create developmental plans and programs for teams and individuals. Effectively manage learning resources necessary to implement these plans.
- Manage training support functions. Drive creative and aggressive improvements in training time to competency and performance execution. Strong focus on end-to-end processes is required.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with leaders at all levels.
- Measure the impact of learning and development using a data-based approach. Assess opportunities for continued improvement, set goals, and establish metrics for success.
- Define and implement process improvements, tools, and technology to enhance processes for learning execution. Manage and optimize the L&D budget.
- Up to 25% future travel required (Currently there is no travel requirements at this time)
- Bachelor's Degree required. Masters preferred . (Preference in Instructional Design, Training and Development, Human Resources, or Organizational Development.)
- 10+ years of relevant experience including talent management, leadership development and human resources experience.
- Experience in publicly-traded company with a geographically diverse leadership team
- Ability to manage, motivate and engage employees from various diverse backgrounds at various experience levels
- High degree of business creativity. A creative approach to problem solving, with a humble, team oriented and optimistic attitude.
- Proven ability to gauge effectiveness of the organization's leadership and talent development structure. Ability to make improvements, while strategically driving the Company’s talent and leadership strategy.
- Demonstrated experience in succession plan design and implementation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of leadership development principles including familiarity with leadership and talent development, change management, organizational effectiveness, technology-based learning, skill development, change management, and process design
- Ability to think strategically, and objectively. Effectively translates data into actionable insights, strategies and financial plans.
- Leadership skills balanced with a willingness to play a 'hands-on' role with key projects.
- Ability to effectively translate complex information into clear and effective messages.
- Communicates clearly and effectively with associates at all levels.
Strong verbal and written presentation skills including the ability to communicate complex ideas in a simple way and to tailor key messages and presentation style to multiple audiences.
Reports To: SVP, Human Resources
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you are a current Extra Space employee, please apply through the "Find Internal Career Openings" in Workday.
Extra Space Storage is the second largest operator of self-storage facilities in the U.S. Since we were founded in 1977, we’ve taken the storage industry by storm. In 2015 alone we added 1.6 Billion dollars in new acquisitions to our already large property portfolio.
The cornerstone of Extra Space Storage is successful partnerships with our stakeholders, partners, investors and customers. Our goals are driven by an impassioned, dedicated workforce that thrives in the innovation driven corporate environment. We are the best, at getting better!
Our Team Makes Us EXTRAordinary
Knowledge is power and experience is valuable. This is why we strive to attract the best candidates for every position at Extra Space Storage. Every position is valuable to our success from our executive management team, corporate employees, on-site managers and call center team.
Offering a Career Path Paved with Innovation and Satisfaction
Attracting the best candidates in any field requires a commitment to job satisfaction. At Extra Space Storage, job satisfaction is high, this is why we have one of the best retention rates in the business. We know that our success depends on our team loving their jobs!
An Extra Space employee is number one valued and knows they are invaluable to the team, customer and company. Second they are passionate enjoying a challenging and rewarding career path armed with the tools they need to succeed. Add a fun work culture and spectacular offices makes Extra Space a pretty amazing place to work.