Sr. Internal Auditor
We are a leader in our industry and in order to maintain this lead, we need extraordinarily motivated, capable, and driven people like you. Come join us and find out why so many of our employees recommend us as an excellent place to work.
Since 2016, we have been a part of the S&P 500 and lead the self-storage industry in more ways than one. In 2018, we were a recipient of one of the Best Places to Work according to Glassdoor.
"Our people are the lifeblood of Extra Space." -Joe Margolis, CEO, Extra
Extra Space Storage is currently hiring for a Sr. Internal Auditor for our corporate offices in Salt Lake City, UT. Reporting to the Director of Internal Audit, the Sr. Internal Auditor contributes to and leads audit and business advisory engagements including Sarbanes Oxley 404 Compliance (SOX) and operational audits. These responsibilities include performing risk assessments, developing audit scope, facilitating meetings, obtaining evidence, documenting processes, testing attributes, reviewing staff auditors’ work, preparing reports and tracking exception remediation. Assists the Director of Internal Audit with preparation of materials for reporting to the Audit Committee, input regarding the annual internal audit plan, and championing internal control and corporate governance concepts throughout the business.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, perform, and report on SOX compliance and operational internal audits
- Coordinate and communicate with team members, management, and external auditors to ensure internal audit objectives, deliverables, and timelines are met
- Test design of internal controls by conducting and documenting walkthroughs in flowchart and narrative format
- Review of deliverables completed by staff auditors
- Test operational effectiveness of internal controls
- Identify and communicate audit findings, offering recommendations relevant to the business
- Assist management with the creation of formalized policies and procedures and internal controls
- Train staff auditors and interns on internal audit procedures
- Develop and maintain working knowledge of laws and industry guidance for establishing, maintaining, and reporting on internal control
- Experience documenting and testing internal controls for SOX compliance and operational audits
- Understanding operational, financial and IT internal control concepts
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Experience with project management to effectively plan, perform, manage, and report on the evaluation of various business processes and functions
- Understanding of GAAP, GAAS, internal auditing standards, COSO, and risk assessment practices
- Intermediate to advanced accounting knowledge, including a working knowledge of consolidation accounting
- Solid Excel skills including experience with VLOOKUP’s, pivot tables, charts and data analytics
- Experience with data analytic tools such as SQL or ACL is helpful
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university and 3-4 years of relevant accounting or auditing experience OR a Masters Degree and 2-3 years of relevant accounting or auditing experience.
- Public accounting or relevant internal audit experience preferred.
- CPA or CIA designation preferred.
f you possess these talents and skills, and a dynamic, growing organization sounds right for you, PLEASE APPLY. We would love to consider you and look forward to reviewing your application.
We pride ourselves on hiring top talent and provide you the following benefits and more:
- Well-defined career paths
- Qualify for Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits on Day 1
- Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending (FSA)
- Company paid Life, AD&D, and Short & Long Term Disability
- 401K with company match after 90 days of service
- Holiday pay and paid time off
- Extensive Wellness Program and various Employee Discount Programs
- Personal Health Advocate
- Onsite Fitness Center
- Free soda, coffee, and drinks all day every single day and much more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you are a current Extra Space employee, please apply through the "Find Internal Career Openings" in Workday
Extra Space Storage is the second largest operator of self-storage facilities in the U.S. Since we were founded in 1977, we’ve taken the storage industry by storm. In 2015 alone we added 1.6 Billion dollars in new acquisitions to our already large property portfolio.
The cornerstone of Extra Space Storage is successful partnerships with our stakeholders, partners, investors and customers. Our goals are driven by an impassioned, dedicated workforce that thrives in the innovation driven corporate environment. We are the best, at getting better!
Our Team Makes Us EXTRAordinary
Knowledge is power and experience is valuable. This is why we strive to attract the best candidates for every position at Extra Space Storage. Every position is valuable to our success from our executive management team, corporate employees, on-site managers and call center team.
Offering a Career Path Paved with Innovation and Satisfaction
Attracting the best candidates in any field requires a commitment to job satisfaction. At Extra Space Storage, job satisfaction is high, this is why we have one of the best retention rates in the business. We know that our success depends on our team loving their jobs!
An Extra Space employee is number one valued and knows they are invaluable to the team, customer and company. Second they are passionate enjoying a challenging and rewarding career path armed with the tools they need to succeed. Add a fun work culture and spectacular offices makes Extra Space a pretty amazing place to work.