Director, Facilities (Southeast)
It is a really exciting time to be at Extra Space Storage! Extra Space Storage got its start in 1977. Between now and then, we’ve come a long way. Today we are a New York Stock Exchange-traded company leading the self-storage industry in more ways than one. But in order to maintain this lead, we need exceptionally motivated, capable, and driven people like you. We offer a fast-paced collaborative environment where each of us directly contributes to the company’s success. Come join our growing industry and find out why so many of our employees recommend Extra Space Storage as great place to work.
The Director of Facility Services directs approved processes and methods to ensure the execution of each direct report’s job responsibilities for capex construction management of Extra Space Storage facility services operations; the evaluation and deferred maintenance schedules of physical property; the annual capital expenditure budgets and due diligence for potential acquisition sites. The incumbent supervises between four to six facility services (construction) managers, and 400 to 600 properties which can vary based on size, complexity and geography.
Supervises and reviews development and FSM performance on the East Coast.
Education and Experience: Bachelor's degree required. Ten to 15 years multi-location construction/facility management experience expected. Experience in managing multiple facility service/construction managers and real estate due diligence required.
- Ensures the successful execution of all annual construction improvement projects (capital expenditures).
- Ensures capex projects maintain the correct scope of work, are delivered/completed on time and within budget.
- Day-to-day supervision of cost to manage budgets, expense management/control and site improvement strategies through the direct supervision of Facility Service Managers for all new and existing properties on a market-by-market and site-by-site basis.
- Responsible for the professional development of Facility Service Manager (FSM’s) personnel.
- Responsible for preparation/roll up of annual construction capex and deferred maintenance budgets (by ownership group) and managing the region in such a way to achieve those commitments.
- Conducts formal monthly facility service reviews with east coast FSM’s covering each site at least quarterly. Reviews and acts on the following information as often as necessary dependent on property performance and general market conditions:
- Scheduled annual capital improvement (deferred maintenance) projects.
- Review and correction of offline and damaged unit inventory throughout region.
- Budget vs. actual expenditures, monthly and year-to-date capex budget reviews, cost to manage expenses.
- Any other key operations/construction/facility management reports focusing on key performance indexes that could improve property performance.
- Make recommendations relative to future facility services and construction management programs for the Company, region and specific sites, maintains value and quality of all assets.
- Identifies and communicates opportunities for improvement of systems, processes, methodologies and training to improve efficiencies and personnel.
- Proactively searches and communicates opportunities for value engineering, training direct reports (FSM’s) on such opportunities.
- Works with Acquisitions, Development, JV, Legal and 3-Plus departments to be advised of all new projects and anticipated completion/opening dates.
- Manage and coordinate due diligence process for new and acquisition properties including preparation of capital expenditure projections.
- Review, finalize and approve all due diligence reports completed by FSMs.
- Visit all existing, acquisition and redevelopment sites to monitor quality of annual construction projects providing strategic direction and training to FSM’s
- Oversee appropriate openings of new and acquired properties.
- Active member of the Design Standards Manual Committee.
- Monitors compliance with Extra Space Storage policies and procedures
- Participates in monthly one-on-ones with VP of Facility Services and FSM.
- Ensures consistent implementation of Facility Services operating standards.
- Responsible for the supervision of bonus, recognition, and company awards programs for the regional facility activity.
- Interacts with Marketing, Facility Services, HR, Revman, and Learning and Development to ensure service is appropriate for superior property performance
- Serves as a contact for third party owners and asset managers for joint venture partners.
- Conducts semi-annual performance call with FSM’s.
- Travels throughout the Region to conduct scheduled training sessions, attend and present at various informational meetings, and support personnel as follows:
- Conduct one to two development meetings with FSM’s (excluding National meeting).
- Conduct monthly regional facility calls with FSM’s and any needed support staff
- Conduct property visits with FSM’s/DM’s focusing on developing consistent application of company operating standards and procedures.
- Visit sites and conduct meetings with regional/division support staff on an as-needed basis to facilitate development and enhance communication.
If you are a current Extra Space employee, please apply through the "Find Internal Career Openings" in Workday.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.