Director, Total Rewards
At Extra Space Storage, if it matters to you, it matters to us!
It is a really exciting time to be at Extra Space Storage! We got our start in 1977. Today we are a New York Stock Exchange-traded company leading the self-storage industry in more ways than one. But in order to maintain this lead, we need exceptionally motivated, capable, and driven people like you. We offer a fast-paced collaborative environment where each of us directly contributes to the company’s success. Come join us and find out why so many of our employees recommend Extra Space Storage as a great place to work.
Job Summary: The Director of Total Rewards manages all day-to-day aspects of Extra Space Storage’s compensation and equity programs, benefits administration, and payroll. The total rewards strategy and programs will enable the company to attract, reward, and retain top talent.
This role serves as part of Extra Space Storage HR leadership team, reporting to the SVP - Human Resources. The Director of Total Rewards will be an innovative, collaborative leader that will create a total rewards philosophy which advances the company's objectives and embraces our culture.
- Lead and own the development and management of Total Rewards Programs
- Recommend, implement and administer the company's benefit programs and ensure that the company is in compliance with all compensation and benefits laws and regulations.
- Exceptional communication instincts & practices that keep stakeholders informed and included in a way that builds trust. Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Provide leadership, coaching, and guidance to Compensation, Benefits and Payroll teams who support employees across the organization; Drive growth and development within the department
- Develops Wellness initiatives to support the overall Wellness goals of the company.
- Reports benefit utilization to the Benefit Committee to ensure self-funded benefit plans are running as expected
- Assure that required records and reports are maintained and issued and up to date. Co-own policies and procedures with Sr Director of Employee Experience
- Partners with Legal to ensure compliance and navigate any claims impacting comp, payroll, and benefits
- Responsible for all required plan audits, filings and recordkeeping
- Develop and implement scalable compensation programs, policies, and procedures, including base, bonus, equity, and long-term incentives
- Maintain a good pulse on market data and drive Best in Class programs to ensure competitiveness in the marketplace
- Participates in creating communication pieces for employees pertaining to employee benefit programs, procedures, changes, and government-mandated disclosures.
- Collaborate with HR Managers and Business leaders to understand their issues related to compensation and benefits.
- Create Total Rewards strategy for the company by recommending standardized programs, variable compensation designs, bonus programs, and long-term incentive programs. Create a strong culture of recognition through the design of reward and recognition programs.
- Responsible for compliance with Sarbanes Oxley HR controls for payroll, benefits and HRIS systems.
- Bachelors Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field
- 7+ years of experience in: Compensation and Benefits
- 5+ years direct people management experience with excellent leadership skills
- Expert hands-on knowledge in compensation with the ability to drive and administer major compensation initiatives is a must (should have experience building these programs from scratch)
- Excellent understanding of Benefits programs and administration is a must
- Experience managing & implementing programs in both large corporate environments & multi-state environments is strongly preferred
- Solid understanding of state and federal laws pertaining to employment and labor, privacy and other compliance protocols
- Excellent business and People Solutions acumen, including strong problem-solving skills, critical thinking, initiative, and ability to navigate in times of ambiguity
- Demonstrated experience in performing complex reporting and analysis
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you are a current Extra Space employee, please apply through the "Find Internal Career Openings" in Workday.
Extra Space Storage is the second largest operator of self-storage facilities in the U.S. Since we were founded in 1977, we’ve taken the storage industry by storm. In 2015 alone we added 1.6 Billion dollars in new acquisitions to our already large property portfolio.
The cornerstone of Extra Space Storage is successful partnerships with our stakeholders, partners, investors and customers. Our goals are driven by an impassioned, dedicated workforce that thrives in the innovation driven corporate environment. We are the best, at getting better!
Our Team Makes Us EXTRAordinary
Knowledge is power and experience is valuable. This is why we strive to attract the best candidates for every position at Extra Space Storage. Every position is valuable to our success from our executive management team, corporate employees, on-site managers and call center team.
Offering a Career Path Paved with Innovation and Satisfaction
Attracting the best candidates in any field requires a commitment to job satisfaction. At Extra Space Storage, job satisfaction is high, this is why we have one of the best retention rates in the business. We know that our success depends on our team loving their jobs!
An Extra Space employee is number one valued and knows they are invaluable to the team, customer and company. Second they are passionate enjoying a challenging and rewarding career path armed with the tools they need to succeed. Add a fun work culture and spectacular offices makes Extra Space a pretty amazing place to work.